。。.。。:+* DIY Piñata *+:。。.。

I am making this pull string piñata for my daughter 1st birthday. I did it just because the cost of buying one is too expensive. I bought the Pooh Bear piñata for my boy during his first birthday, its cost me about S$65/- and the fourth kids just got the correct string and game over! Phewwww~~~~~~~ too fast my S$65/- gone, just like throwing money down the drain.
So I decided to DIY a piñata this time round.

Well, what do you need to DIY your piñata?


  • 50/ 50 flour + water (Mix the flour and water together until it makes a smooth paste.)

  • Newspaper (Cut into about 1" strips)

  • Colored crepe paper

  • String (For Decoration & Pull strings)

  • Round Vegetable Drainer (some use balloon)

  • Water pail (Small rubbish bin)

  • Time : 1 week
I use a small water pail as the base of my cupcake (some use rubbish bin) and a round vegetable drainer as the top of my cupcake. (as picture shown)

You can use any combination as long as the shape look like a cupcake will do!

I cover both in plastic wrap so that the papier-mache can easily be taken off when dry.

Dip the pre-cut 1” wide strips newspaper into the flour/water mixture. Carefully place the strips on the base until it is covered. Try to go in different directions and overlap so there your form is completely covered.

Set aside and let it dry completely before applying the next. You need to add about 4 to 5 layers of paper, so that it is strong enough to hold the goodies.
Let your paper mache dry for a few hours (or overnight) until dry to the touch.

Do the same to the cover the Round vegetable drainer, BUT for this you make a "hole" in the top as you will use this later to add candies, toys etc.

In fact it doesn’t take long to paste the newspaper strips but you need to allow a couple of days for it to day.

For me, I just left it overnight after I completed each layer, and then I covered another layer on the next day. Repeat this process until you covered 4 or 5 layers; this why you have to do it a week before the birthday party!

Let paper mache dry for overnight, apply 2nd layer of paper.

Rotate the paper mache to make sure that it dries evenly around.


Apply 3rd layer of paper.


Apply 4th layer of paper.


Apply 5th layer of paper.


When dry, remove papier-mache from the base and remove plastic wrap.



Cut a 2.5" by 2.5" trap door in your pinata bottom (just cut THREE sides the fourth will act as the hinge)

Cut as any lengths of Ribbon as you'll need pull strings. How high you'll be hanging the pinata will determine the length. (When in doubt, go longer - you can always trim it up later)

Make a small hole in the trap door and thread a piece of ribbon through. Tie a knot in that ribbon on the inside. I leave that ribbon much longer then the rest so I know which it is and trim it when I'm finished.

Joining the top and the base of cupcake.

I am using 2 layers of paper.

Upon completion, I just paste a layer of kitchen hand towel paper to cover up the newspaper.

Punch 2 small holes in the top near the opening and thread a large piece of string through the two holes.

Next, you can glue the remaining ribbons.

You can paint and designs your piñata now, for me i am using crepe paper.










Filled the Pinata with goodies
Trying to make a 'cherry; on top of the cupcake ^^


Finally, I add the prizes and candy and then close the trap (adding a layer of tissue paper to "hide" the door.

You can be very creative with this project. You can design your pinata into any shape (animal, flower, etc,) with your imagination. Use thick colored paper filled with scrunched up newspaper and glue or tape to add any details to your basic pinata structure.

* on the actual day *







Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! Im trying to make a pull string pinata for my daughters bday and found your post. Thanks! ( your cupcake was so cute!) Anyway, I cant figure out how you attach the other ribbons ( not the one that opens the door) so that it looks nice. Do you tape them, or glue? Do you cover those ends w crepe paper? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Shirley said…
Hi sorry for my late reply, u mean the 'fake' ribbons? i just glue it! After that i covered them up with crepe paper ^^.

Popular posts from this blog

Renunciation of Malaysian Citizenship in High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore

Renewal of Malaysia international passport in the Malaysian High Commission, Singapore

Collection of Renunciation Certificate at Malaysia High Comm